TITAN NATION

WWT Female Wrestler

Sidney Bradfield, Writer

Senior, Shelby LaBonty, is one of Warren Woods Towers first female wrestlers. It can be very challenging as a female in the sport of wrestling, but Shelby makes it look effortless. She has been wrestling since her sophomore year, and this is what she has to say about it.

Shelby first began wrestling during her sophomore year because she felt like it would make her a better athlete overall in karate, kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, and now wrestling. That, and she is always up for a challenge of course.

She was very nervous to start wrestling because it is traditionally a man’s sport. She expressed that she was worried about fitting in, and that the boys wouldn’t like her or accept her. It was a tough transition, and the boys do pick on her, but they’re like brothers to her so it’s all fun and games. It didn’t take long for her to make friends and find her place.

Although Shelby has always been very athletic and conditioned, wrestling practice was very challenging at first. She said that she even wondered what she had gotten herself into because it was so tough. She is strong, so she adjusted easily and quickly began to fall in love with the sport.

Since wrestling is typically a male dominated sport, she does feel like she is treated differently at times. She says that many of the athletes are often surprised to see a girl, and she can tell her opponents usually get very embarrassed when she beats them. Shelby doesn’t mind though, and she always enjoys the challenge.

Shelby’s parents have been very supportive of her athletic career since day one. They love that she wrestles, and that she competes in sports that women don’t traditionally compete in. They’re very proud of her. They love to watch her and her team compete, and they always push her to do her very best.

Although it is not typical to be a female in the sport of wrestling, Shelby fits right in with her teammates and they consider each other family. She proves everyone wrong everyday that girls don’t belong in wrestling, and she encourages any girls that may be considering wrestling to try it out.