TITAN NATION

• NEW STORIES WEEKLY

• VOTE ON OUR LATEST POLL!

TURKEY DAY SHOWDOWN

Mitchell Moore, Editor

The Detroit Lions went into last Thursdays’ Thanksgiving Day Game fresh off of a win against a dismal Browns team. Their opponent, the Minnesota Vikings were the team given the task  to go up against Detroit and their roaring Thanksgiving crowd piled into Ford Field.

The Lions played with a very inspirational mannerism in the game. This was because with a win, they would have closed within one game of tying the Vikings in the NFC North division. Throughout the game, it was very noticeable that quarterback Matthew Stafford was not his usual self, throwing away multiple easily catch-able balls. The offensive unit as a whole did not play up to standard, with the Lions only converting on just three third-downs out of the eleven opportunities they had. The struggles in the running game also continued, with only one first down coming by way of a rush.

Minnesota, led by second-string quarterback Case Keenum, came out fast and hard against a Lions’ defense that is still riddled with injuries. Keenum went 21-30 in passes and threw for nearly 300 yards. He also threw two touchdown passes. RB Latavius Murray ran for 84 yards and a touchdown as well.

Injuries started to become a problem for the Lions as the game progressed, as starting safety Tavon Wilson and starting Center Taylor Decker both left the game in the third quarter due to injury. This impacted Detroit greatly, weakening an already disappointing offensive line and also creating holes in the Lions secondary. Matthew Stafford also got hit with an injury late in the fourth quarter, when after completing a touchdown pass the opposing defensive tackle Tom Johnson fell on his ankle. Stafford would later return, but with a heavily taped ankle. Stafford was also noticeably in pain, limping and struggling to support himself on his right ankle.

The Lions made one final push in the fourth to tie the game, after overcoming a 17 point deficit, however their final drive was cut short when an injured Matt Stafford threw an interception. The Vikings took the field and took several knees as the clock ran down to zeros, and the Lions lost by a score of 30-23.

You can catch the Lions this Sunday, as they travel to Baltimore to face a struggling Ravens team.