TITAN NATION

The Christmas Music Debate

SONY+DSC
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Christmas Music Debate

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Rebekah Stroebe, Writer

The lights go up, the snow falls down, the carols ring through the air.  It is Christmas time once again. One of the biggest things people love about Christmas time is the music. From the classics like Blue Christmas, to new singles.  It is a time where you really get to hear generations of music all on one station. It gives out an atmosphere of joy and happiness, brightening up anyone’s day, but there is one question that everyone seems to wonder from time to time.  When is it a good time to start listening to Christmas music?

This year, WNIC had a poll to see when people wanted Christmas music to be played. Their choices were October 23rd, November 1st, November 8th, and November 19th. Counting all the people’s votes, November 8th was the winner. So, I decided to do a poll of my own, giving the choices of before Halloween, all year round, not until December, and after Thanksgiving. 50% of voters said that they prefer to listen to it after Thanksgiving, and I agree.  There is a point when the time of year is in season, like a sale at a store. It can’t last forever, but will always come back. I like to think that if we listen to it all year round, it loses the special place in our hearts.

I asked a counseling office worker of WWT, Mrs. Dempsey, when she prefers to listen to Christmas music. She stated, “Right before thanksgiving.” Asking another office worker at WWT, Ms. Willenberg, said, “As soon as it starts playing on the radio.” That is one-way people decide when to start listening to it.  They let the radio stations choose for them.

I can see why some people like Christmas music, especially in a day and age when you can listen to music through headphones and keep it to yourself.  Lots of people may get to see people they normally don’t all year round.  It could bring around lots of good memories of family dinners, seeing the looks of kids faces when the get their presents, all the happiness that just goes around.  You don’t want to lose that.  But as I said before, if you were to listen to it everyday, you could get tired of it.  This would lead to its special meaning fading away.  Leaving what was once your anthem of happiness to just be another song. Keep the special feeling on your heart, leave the Christmas music for that special time of year.

About the Writer