TITAN NATION

Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Back to Article
Back to Article

Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Jewel Jhons, Writer

Buying smart phones for children under the age of 11 is personally one of the last things I would ever do. Not being near to the realm of teenage hood and already exposed to the harsh world of the internet, is not the environment a young human should grow in.

There’s no way that a kid in 6th grade or under could benefit from having a smartphone. While they could use it for research for school and gaming from time to time, almost all schools have computers, iPads, and etc. to do research at school, plus there are alternatives for games in which they could play on a console. If they are in grades lower than 6th or 7th grade, these resources are available because they know many of them don’t have their own source of technology because of their age. Although, in recent times, that hasn’t been the common case.

Kids around these ages are not ready for the new or old iPhone model because most are careless and will break it in the first few months or so. Potentially, some will learn key responsibility skills they will need in life but they don’t need to learn this way at a young age.

Although, the main concern is the additions that come with a smartphone. While to many, it is a positive addition, it’s also very negative. Social Media is probably the biggest concern for a young kid with a cell phone. It’s not safe with many fake accounts out there targeting young kids to get their information and starting their digital footprint without them even knowing the real dangers out there. Also, the content is hazardous to children’s minds and the people are definitely not always nice. No child this age is fully aware and prepared to enter the world of the internet.

Even though some parents could potentially restrict the internet usage and ban social media, kids will find a way around or convince their parents to allow them a few months after owning a cellular device. Even if not, and this child doesn’t not have social media and can only use internet with permission, being this young creates a target. Some hackers could call and try to obtain information and being this young they are very easily deceived. In every way possible, it’s not safe or worth the young ones to have smartphones.

Personally, I would advise to use child-safety tablets that don’t have access to internet without permission and no real direct connection with the world in this sense. There’s honestly no rush for a child in elementary or early middle school to have a phone when they are still learning the basis of their education.

About the Writer
1 Comment

One Response to “Elementary Students with Cell Phones”

1. gary winthorpe on December 8th, 2018 12:49 am

super mario bros.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

Beats Products are Overrated

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

Is AP Physics Worth It?

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

Stress Affects Students’ Performance in School

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

Riverdale has Lost its Spark

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

Homecoming 2018 was the Best

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

FORTNITE BATTLE ROYALE SWEEPS THE NATION

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

SPOILER ALERT! ‘THIS IS US’ REVEALS HOW BELOVED CHARACTER DIES

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

‘9-1-1’ TELLS THE STORY OF THOSE BEHIND THE NUMBER

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

‘THE GREATEST SHOWMAN’ BRINGS THE PAST TO THE PRESENT

• Elementary Students with Cell Phones

Opinion

‘PITCH PERFECT 3’ CALLS ‘THE BARDEN BELLAS’ TO THE STAGE ONE LAST TIME

Your source for all Warren Woods Tower News and Media..
Elementary Students with Cell Phones