TITAN NATION

Choir 101

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choir 101

Rebekah Strobe, Writer

The lights shine down upon the stage.  Shadows dance around with the silence. The air is filled with anticipation and wonder of what’s to come.  The piano keys boom out, the voices draw air in.  The angelic melody and harmony fill the auditorium with a sound that people can only describe as beautiful.  The song ends, the curtain falls, and the silence comes again.  Filled with awe and amazement.  This is not an orchestra, an opera, or a musical.  This is the amazing sound of a choir.

Warren Woods Tower’s choir is more than just a class. The choir is a family full of talented students.  They have multiple medals from MSVMA district and states festival and solo and ensemble. In 2016, the select choir won a perfect 30/30. The select choir is a group of girls that audition and get chosen by Mr. Corpuz, the Choir director. This group of girls get to take on the solo and ensemble festival. This choir proudly preforms for every concert after the fall concert.

New for the last 3 years is another audition choir, the acapella choir. This group of Altos, Sopranos, Tenors, and Bass use the sound of their voices to create all the music, no piano accompaniment needed. This group of student also proudly perform at every concert after the fall concert. They have used not just their voices, but claps, snaps, and stomps to bring the sound to some of the songs. This is not just a fun after school group, but it helps them learn music even after class. Getting into the close knit groups of select and acapella helps teach music at a deeper level. Getting these groups together helps Warren Woods Tower to shine that much more.

None of this would be possible without the entire concert choir.  The concert choir perform at a fall concert, festival concerts, holiday concert, spring concert, cabaret, and they even sing the National Anthem at the homecoming game every year. As well all give the seniors one more moment to use their voices to shine at graduation. Students go into this class thinking lots of things, but normally not that they would be part of such an amazing family. Most students normally love staying in the class after the first year.  There are students who join Freshman year and leave with tears in their eyes as a senior.  Everyone gets so close that the tears of the seniors leaving gets passed around to all the grade levels after another amazing year. This year, the choir is bigger than ever.  With over 70 students, our choir grows bigger every year.  The goal is to make the choir bigger and better every year.